Back to Back Theatre, Australia
Ganesh Versus the Third Reich | OReilly Theatre, Belvedere | Oct 1 – 4
Ganesh Versus the Third Reich is poignant, heart-warming, beautiful, disarming and full of vulnerability.
The story begins with the elephant-headed god Ganesh travelling through Nazi Germany to reclaim the Swastika, an ancient Hindu symbol. As the intrepid hero embarks on his journey a second narrative is revealed: before our very eyes the show takes on its own life and the actors begin to feel the weighty responsibility of storytellers. A young man inspired to create a play about Ganesh – the god of overcoming obstacles – must find the strength to surmount the difficulties in his own life, and defend his play and his collaborators against an overbearing colleague.
A multi award-winning production which has received critical acclaim worldwide, Ganesh Versus the Third Reich explores how we are involved in creating and dismantling the world, human possibility and hope. It invites us to examine who has the right to tell a story and who has the right to be heard.
- Performed in English, German and Sanskrit with English surtitles.*
- Back to Back Theatre is supported by the Australia Council for the Arts, Arts Victoria and the City of Greater Geelong.
- *In surtitled performances an English-language translation of the dialogue is projected as captions onto a screen above the stage
Information and Tickets:
- Venue: OReilly Theatre, Belvedere
- Dates: Wed Oct 1 – Sat Oct 4, 7.30pm
- Tickets: €25 – €30
- Duration: 1 hr 40 mins. No interval.
- Talking Theatre: Oct 2, post-show. With Bruce Gladwin and members of the company.
- Audio Described and Captioned Performance: Oct 3, 7.30pm. A touch tour will also be available pre-show.
"a vital, senses-sharpening tonic for theatergoers who feel they’ve seen it all." The New York Times
Cast and Creative Team:
- Created by Mark Deans, Marcia Ferguson, Bruce Gladwin, Nicki Holland, Simon Laherty, Sarah Mainwaring, Scott Price, Kate Sulan, Brian Tilley, David Woods
- Director: Bruce Gladwin
- Cast: Mark Deans, Simon Laherty, Scott Price, Luke Ryan, Brian Tilley
- Set Design and Construction: Mark Cuthbertson
- Costume Design: Shio Otani
- Composer: Jóhann Jóhannsson
- Design and Animation: Rhian Hinkley
- Lighting Design: Andrew Livingston (Bluebottle)
- Sound Engineer: Phillip Pietruschka