ILBIJERRI Theatre Company, Australia
Jack Charles V The Crown | Samuel Beckett Theatre | Oct 8 – 12
Uncle Jack Charles is an Australian legend: veteran actor, Koori elder, activist, but also a former heroin addict and cat-burglar. This is a show about his life, told by him.
From Stolen Generation to Koori theatre in 1970s Australia, from film sets to Her Majesty’s prisons, Jack Charles V The Crown runs the gamut of a life lived to its utmost. Charles’ unswerving optimism transforms this tale of addiction, crime and imprisonment into the story of a vagabond’s progress. It is a map of the traps of dispossession and a guide to reaching the age of grey-haired wisdom.
This fleet-footed, light-fingered show is a theatrical delight and a celebration of Black Australia’s dogged refusal to give up.
- Contains material of an adult nature.
- Toured by Performing Lines
Information and Tickets:
- Venue: Samuel Beckett Theatre
- Dates: Wed Oct 8 – Fri Oct 10, 7.30pm
- Sat Oct 11, 2.30pm & 7.30pm
- Sun Oct 12, 2.30pm
- Tickets: €25 – €30
- Duration: 75 mins. No interval.
- Talking Theatre: Oct 8, post-show. With Jack Charles.
"There is something special about Uncle Jack. Something about his voice, his stature, his laugh, his story – something powerful but humbling… It is most certainly something that you won’t want to miss." Australian Stage
Cast and Creative Team:
- Directed by Rachael Maza
- Cast: Jack Charles
- Audio Visual Design: Peter Worland
- Musical Director: Nigel Maclean
- Percussion: Phil Collings
- Bass: Malcolm Beveridge
- Set and Costume Design: Emily Barrie
- Lighting Design: Danny Pettingill