Oedipus : 24 Sept - 10 Oct, Abbey Theatre
Let the day
What the night
Shoot an arrow of hope
Into the heart
Of this broken city
The city of Thebes hides a secret crime. Punished by the Gods, the citizens seek protection. They turn to their King. He saved them before. Can he save them again?
Sophocles’ enduring tragedy is an elaborate meeting of political drama, murder mystery and psychological thriller.
Wayne Jordan’s new version of Oedipus invites us to confront vital questions of who we are and how we live together.
Cast and Creative Team:
- Directed by Wayne Jordan
- Cast includes: Karen Ardiff, Muiris Crowley, Hilda Fay, Rachel Gleeson, Mark Huberman, Esosa Ighodaro, Nicola Kavanagh, Damian Kearney, Ger Kelly, Charlotte McCurry, Helen Norton, Barry John O’Connor, Shane O’Reilly
- Composer and Sound Design: Tom Lane
- Set Design: Ciarán O’Melia
- Lighting Design: Sinead Wallace
- Costume Design: Catherine Fay
- Movement Director: Sue Mythen
★★★★ 'a solemnly rendered and starkly beautiful retelling of societal collapse' - The Irish Times
'A brilliant Oedipus for our times' - The Irish Independent
Oedipus Rex: A Reading
To celebrate the 150th anniversary of the birth of W.B. Yeats, the Abbey Theatre will present a reading of his adaptation of Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex, by the cast of Wayne Jordan’s new version of Oedipus.
Date: Oct 9, 4pm Tickets: €5
Oedipus at Abbey Theatre: