Teatro de Chile, Chile
Zoo | Smock Alley Theatre, Black Box | Sept 25 – 28
One of the most highly regarded young theatre groups in Chile, Teatro de Chile develop creative processes driven by experimentation and investigation. In Zoo, they construct a unique ethnic group and its complete worldview as two scientists present their astonishing lifetime discovery: the last two Tzoolkman people, found 18 months ago.
Obsessed with the idea of having to preserve the Tzoolkman culture they face an insurmountable problem: how can they preserve a culture when its central feature is the need to imitate as a way to survive?
Zoo explores the problematic notion of the production of knowledge by examining the most common academic performance format: the lecture. How much of what is said is valuable and how much is a fantasy and a lie? Does it even matter if we know?
- Performed in Spanish with English surtitles.*
- Co-production: Festival Teatro a Mil and Festival Internacional Buenos Aires.
- *In surtitled performances an English-language translation of the dialogue is projected as captions onto a screen above the stage
Information and Tickets:
- Venue: Smock Alley Theatre, Black Box
- Dates: Thurs Sept 25 & Fri Sept 26, 7.30pm
- Sat Sept 27, 2.30pm & 7.30pm
- Sun Sept 28, 2.30pm
- Tickets: €20 – €25
- Duration: 60 mins. No interval.
- Talking Theatre: Sept 27, post-show. With Manuela Infante and members of the company.
"loaded with humour, absurd and provocative…" Otro Lunes, Revista Hispanoamericana de Cultura
Cast and Creative Team:
- Directed by Manuela Infante
- Cast: Cristián Carvajal, Ariel Hermosilla, Héctor Morales, Juan Pablo Peragallo, Valentina Parada
- Video: Nicole Senerman
- Design: Claudia Yolin and Rocio Hernandez
- Music and Sound Design: Diego Noguera