Benjamin Verdonck, Belgium
notallwhowanderarelost | Smock Alley Theatre, Black Box | Oct 8 – 11
notallwhowanderarelost is a performance created with few words, lots of tricks, colours, geometrical figures, opening doors and tumbling-down curtains. This is theatre pared back to its most basic components, within easy reach, at eye level.
Having trained as an actor, Benjamin Verdonck has developed a body of work that moves freely between performances on stage and in public spaces, and visual art installations. For his latest work, he chose as a starting point a table-top theatre that can pop up anywhere and disappear just as swiftly. On top of this magic box and inside it he functions as an actor and as a stage technician, revealing a brand of acoustic and visual poetry that is both tangible and enigmatic.
‘Time is a river which sweeps me along
but I am the river
It is a tiger which destroys me
but I am the tiger
It is a fire which consumes me
but I am the fire’
– Jorge Luis Borges
- Production: Toneelhuis and KVS.
- Co-production: Kunstenfestivaldesarts and steirischer herbst festival. Project co-produced by NXTSTP, with the support of the Culture Programme of the European Union.
Information and Tickets:
- Venue: Smock Alley Theatre, Black Box
- Dates: Wed Oct 8 – Fri Oct 10, 6.30pm
- Sat Oct 11, 1.30pm & 6.30pm
- Tickets: €15
- Duration: 40 mins. No interval.
- Talking Theatre: Oct 10, post-show. With Benjamin Verdonck.
“We can only watch, and construct the story in the moment itself. And boy, does that keep you on the edge of your chair.” De Morgen
Cast and Creative Team:
- Created by:
- Benjamin Verdonck
- Iwan Van Vlierberghe
- Sven Roofhooft
- Sébastien Hendrickx
- Han Stubbe
- Louisa Vanderhaegen
- Griet Stellamans